Q2 Soccer Stadium
Austin Major League Q2 Soccer Stadium Fiber Project
The Austin FC’s new state-of-the-art $260 million-dollar 20,500 seat Q2 Stadium was completed in Spring 2021. Q2 Stadium was strategically designed to be a multipurpose site, including other professional and amateur sporting events outside of soccer, concerts, community activities, cultural events, and private functions such as corporate meetings and weddings.
A few of the innovative features of the Q2 Stadium include:
- Natural grass playing surface
- Future expansion capacity to construct a new seating deck affixed to the North Building which would add approximately 1,500 new seats to both the soccer and concert seating configurations.
- Unique design and signature canopy structure which offers shade and coverage from inclement weather
- Public DAS (“Distributed Antenna System”) and WiFi systems throughout Q2 Stadium to boost connectivity and offer access to stadium technology features
- Large LED videoboard and interactive ribbon panel technology to further boost the fan experience
- The most advanced stadium lighting capabilities in the world as Q2 Stadium is the first stadium in the world to install 100% of the field lighting system with tunable RGB LED lights
- Eight acres of open and green space, including public accessibility trails and a performance and gathering area adjacent to the Q2 Stadium
The Housley Group was selected to construct an extensive 48-strand fiber optic cable network designed to provide high-capacity Video and Data Services throughout the Q2 Soccer Stadium. The Housley Group construction crew’s work consisted of placing over 7,000 feet of high-capacity aerial and buried underground fiber optic cable.
To have this new facility completed and ready for a Spring 2021 opening almost every construction phase of the project required working under extremely compressed schedules with multiple work groups working around the clock to finish the complex on schedule. Responding to the criticality of completing the fiber optic cable construction work in a very compressed timeframe, multiple Housley Group aerial and underground crews started and completed their work ahead of schedule in only three (3) days.